Check out all of the episodes and the new podcast player HERE!
What makes you itch?
What do you desire?
I get a lot of questions, and one of the most common ones has nothing to do with money. It is: how do I figure out what I want to do with my life?
It is such a hard and scary question to figure out what we want to be when we grow up. We feel like we’re making a decision that we have to stick with for eternity.
And it isn’t an easy question to answer. But it is one that you need to answer.
In this solo edition of the YoPro Wealth podcast, I help you understand how you can find your passions, and find out what it is that you really desire.
Here is the text from Alan Watts:
“So I always ask the question: What would you like to do if money were no object? How would you really enjoy spending your life? Well it’s so amazing as the result of our kind of educational system, crowds of students say ‘Well, we’d like to be painters, we’d like to be poets, we’d like to be writers’ But as everybody knows you can’t earn any money that way! Another person says ‘Well I’d like to live an out-of-door’s life and ride horses.’ I said ‘You wanna teach in a riding school?’
Let’s go through with it. What do you want to do? When we finally got down to something which the individual says he really wants to do I will say to him ‘You do that! And forget the money!’ Because if you say that getting the money is the most important thing you will spend your life completely wasting your time!
You’ll be doing things you don’t like doing in order to go on living – that is to go on doing things you don’t like doing! Which is stupid! Better to have a short life that is full of which you like doing then a long life spent in a miserable way. And after all, if you do really like what you are doing – it doesn’t really matter what it is – you can eventually become a master of it. It’s the only way of becoming the master of something, to be really with it. And then you will be able to get a good fee for whatever it is. So don’t worry too much, somebody is interested in everything. Anything you can be interested in, you’ll find others who are.
But it’s absolutely stupid to spend your time doing things you don’t like in order to go on spending things you don’t like, doing things you don’t like and to teach our children to follow the same track. See, what we are doing is we are bringing up children and educating to live the same sort of lives we are living. In order they may justify themselves and find satisfaction in life by bringing up their children to bring up their children to do the same thing. So it’s all retch and no vomit – it never gets there!
And so therefore it’s so important to consider the question: What do I desire?”
What do you desire? What would you do if money were no object?
In the podcast I share with you many questions that you really need to consider to ensure that what you’re doing is something that you desire. So go through the list below, but before you do, you have to also consider also go through Tony Robbins’ 6 Human Needs:
- Certainty – assurance you can avoid pain or gain pleasure
- Uncertainty/Variety – the need for the unknown, change, new stimuli
- Significance – feeling unique, important, special or needed
- Connection/Love – a strong feeling of closeness or union with someone or something
- Growth – an expansion of capacity, capability or understanding
- Contribution – a sense of service and focus on helping, giving to and supporting others
What are your top 2 of these above? Those are what will drive the direction of your life. And follow that direction!
Here are the questions to go through. Write these down, do them a few times, cross things out. Really consider what it is that you desire. And go do that.
- What makes you itch? (answer it, seriously. What makes you tick inside? What sets you off? What lights a fire inside of you?)
- What is it that you desire? (list everything)
- Is it something that you really want? Or is this someone else’s dream?
- What is the order of your desires? What do you want most.
- What would you do if money were no object?
- On a Saturday afternoon, what are you reading just for fun?
- What are the topics of most books on your bookshelf?
- Of Tony Robbins’ 6 Human Needs, what are your top 2? These top 2 drive the direction of your life. Follow them.
- What would you do in life if you could not fail? -Tony Robbins
- What is your definition of wealth?
- What is the lifestyle that you want to enjoy?
- What are your top 10 passions? What are your top 5 passions? (look at these everyday)
- What is more important than you are that you could dedicate your life to?
- Is what you’re doing today something that you would start all over agin tomorrow? (if not, move on from a bad decision)
- What is your superpower?
- What made you different or unique growing up? What was one thing you did that made you stand out that you thought was normal?